What is Bodymind Healing Psychotherapy?
My philosophy is that psychological issues and bodily disease are "divina afflictios" (divine afflictions) giving us opportunities for psycho-spiritual growth, soul-making, and finding the source of healing.
When a person needs help with problems of everyday living, a therapist must be able to weave together psychological theories and healing methods that fit the unique person and moment. The art of psychotherapy also requires transcending methodologies in order to meet a person in that place of raw humanness where contact is made with the deep source of one’s Being.
In this spirit,“Bodymind Healing Psychotherapy” draws from traditional forms of psychotherapy, bodymind and symbolic approaches to healing, hypnosis, energy psychology, psychoneuroimmunological research, and ancient sacred wisdom traditions. Specifically selected treatments are mutually agreed upon and individually adapted to each person’s unique needs.
From my 30 years of private practice, I developed Bodymind Healing Psychotherapy, to integrate traditional forms of psychotherapy with leading edge bodymind healing methods from Western and Eastern traditions.
I also specialize in couples therapy, as seen in my book, Trials of the Heart.
What Leaders in the Field are saying about the Book —
Bodymind Healing Psychotherapy:
…a seminal contribution to the field of mind-body interventions for a wide range of common
disorders…profound in its scope, evidence based, bridges Eastern and Western traditions, and provides
practical insights and skills that can be of enormous value to individuals seeking to attain optimal health.
— Dr. Kenneth R. Pelletier, Clinical Professor of
Medicine, UCSF and University of Arizona School
of Medicine, Author of The Best Alternative Medicine:
What Works? What Does Not?
…a dazzling accomplishment...a thrilling blueprint for the integration of body, mind, and spirit.
— Larry Dossey, M.D.,
Author of Reinventing Medicine
This scholarly and eminently readable book… hopefully foreshadows the shape of body-mind approaches for years to come.
— Bessel van der Kolk, M.D., Medical Director,
The Trauma Center, Boston University School of Medcine,
Past Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard University
Some of the methods of Bodymind Healing Psychotherapy include:*
- Traditional forms of psychotherapy including psychodynamic, self-psychology, cognitive/behavioral, Jungian, Transpersonal.
- Focusing, developed by Dr. Eugene Gendlin, is a method of inner accessing that helps you to identify the felt meaning of somatic symptoms in a way that an energetic shift often takes place as the way your body holds an issue let's go or changes. Dr. Gendlin won a Most Distinguished Psychologist of the Year Award from the American Psychological Association. Dr. Mayer was Dr. Gendlin's East Bay Focusing training coordinator for 10 years.
- Western Bodymind Healing Methods including: guided imagery, hypnosis, relaxation methods.
- Energy Psychology is a leading edge psychological approach that adds acu-point self-touch and other methods to increase effectiveness of treatment. Dr. Mayer's book, Energy Psychology: Self-Healing Practices for Bodymind Health (North Atlantic/Random House, 2009), broadens and deepens the scope of energy psychology.
- Qigong is a many thousand year-old method of cultivating the energy of life through breath, movement, awareness touch, sound, and guided imagery. Recent research has demonstrated that Qigong has the ability to lower blood pressure, increase balance, and help with a wide variety of chronic diseases. The Wall Street Journal says it's the hottest trend in stress relief. Many people think Qigong is about graceful movements; but Qigong also has static practices that can be done in stillness. Many people think Qigong is about practices that relax; but Qigong is a unique time-tested practice that simultaneously relaxes and energizes. Dr. Mayer pioneered the integration of Qigong with Western bodymind healing methods.
* Specifically selected treatments are mutually agreed upon and are adapted to each person's unique needs.
Please visit my other website at www.bodymindhealing.com, where you can download articles (Chapters from my new book) with self-healing methods for anxiety, hypertension, insomnia, chronic pain, depression, etc.
Dr. Mayer has offices in various locations throughout the Bay Area: Berkeley, San Francisco, and Contra Costa County:
- 2029 Durant St., Suite 202, Berkeley, CA, 94704
- 2084 Union St., San Francisco, CA, 94123
- 89 Moraga Way, Suite B, Orinda, CA, 94563
- 3702 Mt Diablo Blvd., Lafayette, CA, 94549
Appointments for all locations can be made by calling: 510-849-2878